Insomniac Games files have been leaked by ransomware gang

I really hope the Insomniac employees will be okay after this.

MajorLinux - Editor-in-chief

Yesterday, I wrote about Insomniac looking down the barrel of a ransomware gang. They were threatening to release all the data it had on the developer if the ransom of 50 bitcoins (~$2 million) was not met. Today, Rhysida followed through on that threat.

1.67 terabytes of data (nealy 1.3 million files) have been leaked online. According to Cyber Daily, there are a lot of internal communications and HR documents in this leak.

The biggest thing that’s in here is a ton of details about the Wolverine game currently in development at Insomniac. There are files about level design, characters, and images from the game itself.

There are also publishing agreements between Sony and Marvel for three X-Men games, including Wolverine. The agreement stipulates that Sony puts out the games by September 1, 2025, the end of 2029, and the end of 2033, respectively.

According to Rhysida, it took 20 to 25 minutes to get access to the domain administrator. Its only motivation was financial. The group just wanted to get paid.

We knew that developers making games like this would be an easy target. Sony has launched an investigation, but it would be better in the backyard.”

Rhysica spokesperson to Cyber Daily

Rhysida mentioned that they sold 2% of the data with the other 98% publicly available. The only rule Rhysida gave the buyer was to not resell it.

I wonder what was in that 2% and if it was Sony through back channels who bought it. Although, one wonders why not buy all the employee data if that was the case.

Source: Engadget

Share This Article
By MajorLinux Editor-in-chief
Marcus Summers is a Linux system administrator by trade. He has been working with Linux for nearly 15 years and has become a fan of open source ideals. He self identifies as a socialist and believes that the world's information should be free for all.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *